Wednesday, April 13, 2011

April Has Arrived: Did Spring Come, Too?

At first many of us were beginning to think that we had skipped spring. I mean it is a bit awkward going from corduroy pants one day to shorts later in the same week. But we are mere mortals, and the weather remains a mystery to us.

In the meantime, during all of that cold, then rain, and sun, our more mature herb garden "popped" into full growth. Coward that I am, I was almost afraid to stick my hand down into the luxurious growth earlier this week to weed for fear of coming up with a snake.

One friend here in the Village posted a picture of a snake that was in their drive recently and another told of an encounter between her small pup and a pygmy rattlesnake. I found myself even fearful touching lush pots of blooming flowers at the nursery yesterday. The nursery is in a wooded area. What "if" a snake had found its way into one of the pots I purchased? I thought of it all the way home. What would I do, how would I react, if a snake slithered by my foot as I was driving home along the curving narrow roads. This is one of those places when I would not ask myself, "What would Jesus do?" Oh, no, Jesus would come no where near being the "girl" who is me. I would scream, lift my feet, and probably wreck my car. Along one lonely stretch of back roads with no houses, I even wondered how long it would be until someone came along and found me. With an imagination like mine, no wonder I fear so many things... Even now I am imagining that a small snake "could have" slithered under the workings of the driver's seat. Oh, imagination of mine!

Yesterday was a bountiful haul from my shopping (which I do not really enjoy): a vanity stool for the bathroom, herbs, veggies, and flowers for our gardens, groceries for the pantry, and a piece of oil cloth, yes oil cloth, for our table. We have a table that extends to 102" without any "drop" or allowance for hem. I finally decided that the best way to go was with the oil cloth. It is white, flannel lined, and should look lively with our old, almost 44 year old, white trimmed with blue, china. I am determined to use "real" plates and silver when our Sunday school class meets for a potluck on Sunday.

While I was trying to wear myself out last night, well pass midnight, I began a book our daughter had suggested, Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God. The jury is still out. She thought it was awesome. I'm not feeling the love for this book yet, but perhaps it will come. I read one chapter of that, then switched to my "other" bedtime story, which did tire me. It's the description of a volunteer position that I've agreed to take on for the United Methodist Women at my church. I poured over the materials and still can't figure out what it is that I am supposed to be doing for my part. This is where I turn to God to lead me. I know that it will be okay, because in looking over the last few years' minutes, there were no reports from the people who had this position... Perhaps I have not over extended myself, as I had feared. After that, I went to bed and fell asleep immediately. A word to the wise: find the right reading material to make you sleepy.

It is possible that I'll get to see the little granddaughters when I go to my Relay for Life later this month. Their mom is considering meeting me there. That is a delight to ponder. Love those grandchildren!
And then next month, the middle child, who is turning 40, is marking her Big Event with a Big Event. She is going to participate in an one-half Ironman Marathon. I'm not sure about all of that, but I do know that she has struggled with two injuries during training, so she has been on my mind. That trip will allow me to see the two little grandsons. What side bonuses I am finding in life! That race is in Florida, so I will fly there and leave the Hubs as house guardian. He doesn't mind, as he can play continuous golf.

Our oldest, the only boy, has passed through the stages of life that his sisters are now enduring. His daughter is a freshman in high school and fairly independent. I don't think that he is plagued with carpools, after school activities, etc, as they live so near the school that the granddaughter can easily walk or bike.
And sometime this summer we will get to tour Nova Scotia with the oldest granddaughter, which should just be pure joy for all of us involved.

I am in love with this stage of my life. It is a good season for both my husband and me. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment