Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A New Day!

It is a new day, but I am posting an old picture.  It's a picture taken almost 3 years ago when we lived in another city, another house, another time.  And it was after a hail storm, as one can witness by looking at the mess on the sidewalk.

Today I started reading a book that I discovered while at our youngest child's home recently.  It's called One Month to Live: Thirty Days to a No-Regrets Life and is written in one collective voice by a minister and his wife who have a church in The Woodlands outside of Houston, TX.

The jest of the book is prioritizing your life as if you only had one month left on this earth.  I pretty much did that 12 (can it really be 12?) years ago when I went through breast cancer, complete with chemo and radiation with several surgeries thrown in.  But this is another time in my life, and I am feeling the need to grow closer to God without having to go through the desert experience to get there!

Day 1 has a suggestion to write down five things that one would do if one only had one month to live.  I have decided to use my blog as a journal for this.  My five things (to be listed quickly without thinking all day) were these:
* Become closer to my family
* Spend more time in God's word
* Enjoy nature more
* Improve my physical body
* Communicate more as an active listener to my hubby

So here I am, armed with a well-written book, my desire to move ahead on my faith journey, and a need to get to a better place than I am in right now.  There is always room for improvement, but for me that time especially seems to come during the long, dark, cold days of winter.

On Day 1 there are two quotes to begin the chapter.  I am going to take the liberty of using them.

The first is this, "Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. -- Alan Sachs

The second is this: "I am convinced that it is not the fear of death, of our lives ending, that haunts our sleep so much as the fear...that as far as the world is concerned, we might as well never have lived. -- Harold Kushner

You are welcome to accompany me on my walk, if you wish.

Blessings on your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment