Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Here we are three years ago in our little backyard in winter.  I guess we musta gotten a light dusting of snow and were very excited about it.  At that time, it hardly ever snowed in North Texas.  There were children at the kindergarten when I worked as an elementary school librarian who had never seen snow before this snow.  So to them, it was "very" exciting!


Back to Day 2 of One Month to Live: Thirty Days to a No-Regrets Life by Shook.  I must admit that it took all I had not to read ahead yesterday.  But when I read today's lesson this morning, I was disappointed.  The authors label the chapter, "Roller Coaster: Riding the Big Dipper" and compare it to life.  The question they ask is basically, are you satisfied to always play it safe or do you sometimes step out on a limb...  The usual Bible comparisons were suggested.  And while I can't see myself as ever being a David facing Goliath, I am a cautious risk taker.  Which means I don't take risks.  So I am a coward.  I doubt if I have ever done one daring thing for Christ.

Then the question that the writers pose at the end of the chapter is that if the reader knew that his life would end in a month, what would be the biggest regret.  My reply to my husband, as we sat discussing it, was that I would have wished to be a better mother.  He, of course, assured me that I was a good mother and that perfection is not to be obtained by anyone.  In the end I am satisfied that I was a better mother than my own and that our children are all better parents than we were.  That really is success in my book.

Another question is if the reader is suffering from the "Someday Syndrome" and if so, what are you putting off to do someday?  My biggest Someday Syndrome is exercise.  It was also my mother's biggest Someday Syndrome.  I remember how it used to irritate me to hear that she was going to start exercising when such and such happened.  I, on the other hand, get started with exercise, then life gets in the way, and I just want to scream.  Right now I have a nasty little cold or virus or allergies, and I just flat out don't feel like moving.  But then in my life, there is always that little "something" getting in the way.  The Human Condition is not always an easy path.

The last suggestion at the end of the chapter was to find another metaphor that would more aptly describe ones' journey better than a roller coaster ride (because heaven above knows that I don't "do" roller coasters).

I know in the past I've described myself as the gingerbread man, getting scorched in the oven.  Or I have definitely identified with desert experiences or being in the valleys.  I've had those mountain top experiences, too, so I don't want to sound entirely negative.

I'm starting to think that the book would have had more of an impact on me if 1) I were younger 2) I had not already faced death head on.

But I am feeling better due to the Neil Med sinus wash and the Mucinex.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I don't even mind.  I'm indifferent to it.  Birthdays really aren't important to me anymore.  I guess in a few years they will be, but right now I just enjoy each day as it comes and move forward.

Thank you, God, for this day, for the sunshine, for family and friends, for our great country, for a warm home, good food, and a safe haven.  You are a good God!

No comments:

Post a Comment