Tuesday, January 04, 2011

A Day of Loss

So this little bird, Skye, who came into my life about 5 years ago in the spring, left me to fly free sometime in the night last night.  My day has been full of activities and so I haven't had time to really grasp the meaning of her passing.  I will tell you that when I came in from exercise this morning and heard the pitiful calling of her "adopted" brother, Bogey, my heart broke.

Skye was the "only" child for quite awhile.  But Bogey probably doesn't remember life without Skye.  He misses her and seems to be calling for her.  I know that he doesn't quite understand that she won't be coming back.

And the reality of burying a precious pet that I expected to outlive me is painful to say the least.  I mean, how could that little spark of spunk just up and die in the night when she was fine at dinner last night!!!

And as I dealt with my own personal loss, I heard from an "old" college friend.  Her husband and she have waited for years (our oldest grandchild turns 15 tomorrow!) for their first grandchild.  That little boy, only 6 weeks, is in ICU tonight with a respiratory virus.  And the mother of their newer grandchild, only 1 week, is now being treated for a nasty infection from the c-section she had in delivering him.

My problems are minor in comparison, but I remind myself that it is okay for me to grieve and be sad in my own life while respecting and appreciating the bigger walks of others in my life and world.

And I thanked God this afternoon on my way home from Hot Springs for watching out over me with my straying mind and absentmindedness.  There is a time for all seasons...

Blessings on you, my precious friends.  You are dear to me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sandy, I feel your heartache. I KNOW the love you have for your feathered friends. I looked threw all the pics I took while they were with us and how joyful I felt to see them. We have our memories...and I thank God for all of them!

    ReplyDelete