Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday: A day for Sunday School Class Potluck

With our own family so far away and spread out over three additional states, I found myself wanting to do something special with the wonderful "family" whom we call a Sunday School class.  So, weeks ago, I surveyed to find an appropriate "potluck" date (we are Methodists, you know) and started planning.  Today was the culmination of that planning with a few curve balls thrown in for flavor and good story telling.

Earlier in the week I went to town to "shop."  Now going "to town" is not a little thing to me, because it involves what I now consider "traffic."  Remember that we moved here from the Dallas Metroplex where they invented "traffic!"  That traffic makes Hot Springs look like a comedy by comparison.

I, who do not like to shop, made so many stops that I can not count them.  I made planned and unplanned stops, which confuses the issue of remembering.  Thank goodness that I had on comfortable shoes and a list of Hubs needed gardening items.

It was a beautiful day (obviously before the Big Cold hit AGAIN).  I came home with plants, plants, plants, a few groceries, an oil cloth for the dining table (the only thing that I could find - had to have it cut) to cover the long, long, long, table that we purchased for Family Dinners, and some knitting supplies.

Hubs was having fun golfing in the mornings and planting at night and then, the Big Storm came.  The Big Storm killed 7 people in our state in one night.  It felled trees on lots, streets, and houses.  And the Big Storm made a lot of additional work for Hubs.

The storm saddened my heart, as 3 of the dead in the storm were children.  I know that they are in a better place, but it is still hurtful to me.

With the storm over, I decided that the pollen was gone and that I could finally tackle the back facing windows of our home.  And that I did with little pain and great gain.  I think that I did a great job and that "said" windows look good.

Hubs went to the really Big City of Little Rock and picked up a large honey-baked ham for the potluck.  That was our main dish taken care of.

I systematically cleaned and organized in the house all week so that I wouldn't end up at the end of the week in a panic.  That was surprisingly smart of me! 

Being a great fan of Erma Bombeck and believing in the philosophy of using what you have, I polished silver, silver plate, and got out the flatware.  With pottery and china and all of the various tableware, I made place settings for 18 without using any paper products except for 12 white napkins.  I had enough cloth ones, but they are green and don't match the blue china.

I made the easy potato casserole after playing cards with friends last night.  The cake (molten chocolate) was put in the microwave when we arrived home from church around 11:45 am today, and the rolls (Amish whole wheat rolls from the Farmer's Market) were placed in the oven to heat.

The food was awesome!  There was absolutely nothing that was not first place fair worthy (remember it was a Methodish potluck)!

It was so much fun to visit with these wonderful people who have come together in this new class for the past seven months to learn more about our awesome God.

Hubs enjoyed showing off his garden and his plants, and I just enjoyed wonderful people enjoying themselves. 

After our friends had left for their own homes and activities, I gave thanks to God for a beautiful day and bounty that made it possible for us to share.  While we here in our little world have so much, there are others who do not.  And I think that part of the reason that I love these people so much is that they are all a part of making our world a better place for all people.  It truly was the best beginning for Holy Week that I can imagine.

Dear God, I thank you for this beautiful day, for sending your son to save us from the woes of this world in which we live, and for friends who really are such wonderful, caring people.  Thank you for sharing your universe with us, for leading us to Christ, for being our beacon in the dark.  I appreciate your presence in our midst as you share with us in our Lenten journey.  In Christ's name, Amen.

P.S.  Thanks for the nap, too, God.  It was so refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment